Culinary Czar Jiggs Kalra Passes Away at 72
While the culinary industry mourns his demise, Jiggs remains immortal in many hearts. The first Asian to be inducted in the International Food and Beverage Gourmet Hall of Fame, Jiggs had many firsts to his credit.
JASPAL INDER SINGH KALRA, popularly known as Jiggs Kalra passes away on the morning of June 4th 2019 at the age of 72. The “Czar of Indian Cuisine”, took his last breath due to a prolonged illness which he was battling from the past 15 years.
The cremation will be held on Thursday, 10:30 A.M. at Lodhi crematorium, Delhi. The 'Taste Maker to the Nation' leaves behind his heritage and legacy to his son Zorawar Kalra and his daughter-in-law Dilip Kalra who are now following his footsteps.
While the culinary industry mourns his demise, Jiggs remains immortal in many hearts. The first Asian to be inducted in the International Food and Beverage Gourmet Hall of Fame, Jiggs had many firsts to his credit. Here are some of the interesting facts:
- He was the first to conceptualise and host an Indian food based television series.
- He was known for reviving the lost regional cuisine and introducing age-old delicacies like Galouti Kebabs, the septuagenarian was instrumental in introducing and representing Indian food on international platforms.
- He also represented India at various international food festivals and summits, apart from having served the likes of British royals Prince Charles, the late Princess Diana; and former US President Bill Clinton.
- In a career spanning five decades, Jiggs also authored 11 books, among which Prashad is considered one of his great works and the Bible for chefs in India.
- The philosophy adopted the menu of Masala Library by Jiggs Kalra revolves around progressive Indian cuisine, reflected through the diversity of traditional Indian fare, combined with a progressive presentation, vibrant and captivating blend of flavours, with an emphasis on using the freshest of ingredients, carefully balanced spices and modern culinary techniques.
Around The World